Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hakuna Matata "No Worries"

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a worry wart. It drives Josh insane sometimes. His famous saying to me is," you worry about things just to worry." I never really took it to heart. I always used to bother me. He didn't understand what I was worrying about and going through. That's what I would always think. But there is a reason why husbands are our heads. For situations like this. After hearing him say this for about a year (sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in. haha), I guess I began to re-evaluate if I  was truly worrying about things just to worry. I began looking at my life and the situations that were happening. I worried about bills getting paid, our finances, weight loss (if i will ever lose the weight), pregnancy and our future. I started to notice that wow I am a little worry freak.
I guess it became second nature to me. I didn't know what it was like to live a worry free life. That sounds silly I know. If I wasn't worrying about anything, what was my life about? Lol.

I began searching the Lord and what the Word of God said about worry and realized that I was being kind of selfish. Selfish in the sense that I was worrying so much that I wasn't putting my faith and trust in the Lord. Plus there were things that I couldn't really control. I wasn't giving it all to God and having Him fill me with His peace.

Philippians 4 really spoke to me. This is what it says 4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen n me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Need I say more? This really touched my heart a lot. I wanted that peace "that surpassed all comprehension". I asked God to fill me with peace and help me to let go of my worries.  I have to admit it isn't easy for me. There have been days this week when I would have gone on a worry spiral. I asked God to help me and He did fill me with peace.

It's amazing to realize the change that God is doing in my life. Change for the good. I know that the future is in Gods hands. I might not know what exactly He is doing, but knowing that He is in control and I'm not. So it is better. He is the creator, right?

Anyone who is out there reading this, maybe you are a worry wart like me. Maybe you worry about anything and everything. My hope for you is that you will find peace that surpasses all understanding.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you guys ton!

    ~Erica Freitas (from Elim)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post. I also worry a ton, and I'm only 17! I worry about college, what I want to major in, about what people think of me, grades, and I even worry about my family and my boyfriends safety, even though we aren't in any danger. I even quit softball, a reason being that I am so terrified of thunderstorms. It's pathetic. This post really opened my eyes to the fact that God doesn't want people to worry. He created us to put our love and trust into Him. He is good, and wants good for us. I go to a Catholic High School and it has taken me all this time for this message to actually get to me. Thank you so much for this post! sorry about the super long comment!

    thatssofletch.blogspot.com

    xo, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!! I'm a Christian also and I love for a God everyday!! He has defenitly thought me to put all my trust in him cause i'm not sufficient enough for myself or my kids! I can't rely on my self knowledge but on his understanding!!

    Marcy,
    smudgemyeyeliner.com

    ReplyDelete